New alternative health products that have come onto the market include CBD oil and hemp oil. Many people confuse the two products, thinking that they are the same and that they are both somehow linked to cannabis and marijuana. So, you may be wondering about CBD oil vs hemp oil – what their differences are, their uses, benefits, and effects in the body.
Where Do CBD and Hemp Oil Come From?
The first thing to understand is that both hemp oil and CBD (cannabidiol) oil come from the same species of plant – the cannabis plant. It stands to reason that if they both come from this plant, then surely that should make it the same thing? This is not actually the case, and the difference lies in the way the oil is extracted, the part of the plant it is extracted from, and its uses. The cannabis plant is rich in hundreds of chemical compounds called cannabinoids. The most common of these compounds is THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). THC is the chemical compound that is responsible for giving the high feeling associated with smoking marijuana, whereas, CBD has been associated with the healing properties that have been exhibited by the cannabis plant.
CBD oil vs Hemp Oil – Let’s Compare
The main distinction between CBD oil vs hemp oil is the variety of plant from which each are produced. CBD oil is extracted from the flower and the cannabidiol compound is isolated from the plant. This is then converted into an oil form that does not contain THC or any of the other chemical compounds, and therefore, does not give psychoactive effects that is typically associated with cannabis. The uses of CBD oil have typically been known to be more medicinal in nature, and have been used for hundreds of years. It is only recently that more research has been done on the healing effects of the cannabis plant.
- The relief of chronic pain
- Typically used in cancer patients to relieve pain and to improve appetite
- Has been beneficial in the reduction of symptoms of anxiety, depression and other neurodegenerative disorders
- New research is being done on the use of CBD oil in epilepsy, autism, and PTSD
Alternatively, hemp oil is made from the industrial hemp plant, which is a species of cannabis. The seeds are extracted and pressed in order to extract the oil. This oil is highly nutritious which is why the uses of hemp oil differ from that of CBD oil.
Most Common Uses for Hemp Oil
- Typically used in cooking for providing unique flavor and is often substituted as an alternative for olive oil
- Used as a protein supplement in the diet of people who are vegetarian or vegan as it is rich in protein
- It is a natural moisturizer and is used as an ingredient in lotions, soaps, and other beauty products. It can also be applied directly to the skin after showering
- Used in the production of paints as an eco-friendlier alternative to more common petroleum-based paints
- Like other vegetable oils hemp oil can be used as a biodiesel fuel
As we can see from these differences and uses of CBD and hemp oil that these two products are used for vastly different things. CBD oil is commonly used for its medicinal purposes and, therefore, it is important to understand that hemp oil should not be used as a medicinal product since it does not contain any medicinal properties. The cannabinoid CBD is what’s responsible for producing the healing properties of CBD oil and hemp oil only contains a very small amount of CBD.
A common question that is asked by people is whether hemp oil and CBD oil can be used simultaneously. The answer to this question is yes since their functions are different. You could be using CBD oil as a relief for the pain that you get from arthritis, whereas, you may be using hemp oil as an alternative to olive oil in your diet. These two oils do not clash with each other and can be used simultaneously.
Because of the commonly blurred or misunderstood lines between CBD oil and hemp oil, it is possible to be sold a product that may contain chemicals other than CBD or hemp seed. Trust Badass CBD oil to provide you with all your 100% pure raw CBD oil needs.